Tuesday, July 1, 2008

STANLEY TURRENTINE

(April 5, 1934 – September 12, 2000)



www.allaboutjazz.com
Wikipedia.com

Tenor saxophonist Stanley Turrentine is another name I've heard for a long time and I can't believe I almost forgot about him. He was nicknamed Mr. T and The Sugar Man. His first album entitled "Sugar" was released in 1970. There's not a whole lot of info that I was able to find on this man with sax appeal but his music speaks volumes. Since I didn't have much background information to provide please check out the links above for a couple of short biographies and just check out the two clips below which are, to me, great examples of The Sugar Man's sax appeal.




3 comments:

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

thats a classic phote and the first time i have ever seen him

Anonymous said...

This was the first time I've seen in play.

Anonymous said...

Yes you are right in that you haven't found much of any info about Stanley. I have to laugh when you wrote that 1970's "Sugar" was his first album. FYI, this guy was around since the 50's and was born in 1934. His first recordings are from 1959. Do a little research my man!