Friday, January 4, 2008

CANNONBALL ADDERLEY

(September 15, 1928 - August 8, 1975)

www.cannonball-adderley.com
Wikipedia



Born Julian Edward Adderley, the nickname Cannonball was a childhood name he received from a corruption the name "cannibal". He was a music teacher before he began his jazz career and was one of the more widely know jazz saxophonists. The biographies on either of the links above can provide you with a detailed biography of Cannonball's jazz career.



The video below is of the Cannonball Adderley Sextet. Now this is classic old jazz!

6 comments:

Shelia said...

Child, child, child! You know that's the stuff. Everytime I think of Cannonball Adderley I think about that beautiful album cover with him and Nancy Wilson on it.

Anonymous said...

Loving your comments! :-D

Storm said...

Now THAT is the stuff! I play alto sax, and I just got my own jazz sax website/blog up and running last October, and I'm trying to connect with similar sites. So glad I dropped in here! Cannonball is my man, and I love that video clip of "Work Song." That is some real saxophone playing--amazing chops, ideas out the wazoo, top playing by a hard bop master.

Hope you don't mind my putting in a shameless plug for my website by inviting you to check out my recent blogs on Sonny Stitt. You'll find two clips of him playing "Lover Man" that I predict you'll enjoy thoroughly. URL: www.stormhorn.com, and go to the blog section.

Cheers,
Storm

Anonymous said...

Girlfriend, Here I am again with my husband...you trying to make us leave Paducah or unpack all those albums under the stairs...which is it?

Keep it coming!

Anonymous said...

Storm - Thank you for your comment and I don't mind the plug of your blog at all. Can't wait to check it out!

Anonymous said...

LOVEABLE - LOL! I'm just trying to make you do whatever this stuff makes you feel like doing (wink!).

-2Sweetnsaxy