Saturday, January 5, 2008

CHARLIE PARKER

(August 29, 1920 - March 12, 1955)

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters
Wikipedia



Charlie "Bird" Parker showed no signs of talent as a child, was so bad he got kicked out of band in high school, and in later years had a cymbal thrown at him by a frustrated drummer. Goes to show you that when you're determined you can do anything you want to because he became one of the best.



While we sit and listen to our favorite musicians, tap our feet as they play, close our eyes and willingly drown in their music, there are sometimes tragic stories and sad truths. We lose so much wonderful talent because beneath that talent is a real human being and we really don't know them or what their story is. This clips reminds me of the some of the sadness there is to lose someone who was only 34. Charlie Parker was only 34 when he died.

6 comments:

Shelia said...

I love jazz! I grew up with Jimmy Smith, Wes Montgomery, John Coltrane, Stanley Turntine and many others being played by my parents. It's a sound that you never forget. I like a few of the new breed, but my heart belongs to the classics.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit and that you share my love of jazz. Like you I grew up with it because of my father. Good blessings to you in the New Year!

Anonymous said...

I love Jazz and your blog.what a refreshing blog with some great music

Anonymous said...

Thank you. Glad you enjoyed my blog and the music.

Henry Chiah said...

i like JAZZ ... but not so extensive and deep studied like you ... you really pro ... and a big fan to JAZZ...happy and thanks to your comment. Keep in touch and happy blogging. --- from henrychiah.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you Henry Chiah!